About the programme
The Reading Challenge Programme is an initiative that was first piloted in three primary schools in Gaborone in 2009. Following its initial success, the programme was officially launched in 2010 by Prince Harry, and has since been rolled out to ten primary schools in Botswana.
With support from the British Council, UK-based charity the Reading Agency and the Ministry of Education and Skills Development, the programme encourages and supports the development of young pupils' reading, storytelling, drama and debate skills in English in a fun and exciting way.
Schools receive collections of books on a theme which changes every year. The Reading Challenge is supported by an interactive website with a range of children’s activities.
Make an impact
By joining the Reading Challenge programme, your school can help:
- create a love of reading for pleasure
- support English language development
- build relationships between young learners and children in the UK
- support parental involvement in their children's English language learning
- showcase the UK's creativity in developing children's literacy.
For more information please contact the British Council Botswana office.